Margherita is and always will be the best form of pizza. You can try to dissuade me from this fact- because to me it is indeed fact and not opinion- but I shan’t believe you. I had my first margherita in Italy in middle school and I’m never going back to any other kind as far as favouritism goes- it’s delicious :). Basil + tomato + fresh mozzarella di bufula = perfection. Unfortunately, while getting fresh basil only means going out of my way to a different grocery store, getting buffalo mozzarella is near-impossible in the states.
So here’s the closest I can get to it at home: using a gluten-free garlic pizza dough mix that B left for me one night ;) (thanks, B!) and my mother’s never-fail moist chicken cooking technique, this makes a yummy dish. I’m going to cheat a bit and offer the simplified recipe as this is one that’s truly open to who-knows-how-many variants.
Gluten-Free Chicken Margherita Pizza
- 1/2 package gluten-free pizza crust mix (B brought by a bag of Namaste Foods’ recipe)
- 1 can (about 5 oz) organic tomato sauce (NOT paste!)
- 1 skinless boneless chicken breast cooked in your desired fashion
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella (needs to be a fresh, squishy ball)
- 5-6 leaves fresh basil, chopped roughly
- 1 large fresh roma tomato
- Prepare crust as directed on package.
- Once you’re ready to assemble ingredients, smooth on a layer of tomato sauce, making sure it’s staying about 1/2 inch away from the edges.
- Sprinkle on some of the basil into the sauce; reserve most for topping.
- Place on slices tomato rounds and thick slices of mozzarella.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Take out and place chicken on top and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle on additional basil, admire and photograph, then eat.
Ah, you see, I cheated and didn’t really offer much direction at all, but never mind that. This thing is delicious, easy to make on a weeknight, and reminds you of Italy. You really don’t need anything else in life.